As our son gets older there are two things that always stay the same - his love for sweets and his love of books. We've meshed the two together and started baking themed desserts to accompany the book we're reading. This delicious recipe and educational (but fun) kids book was our first adventure into this new mash-up. The Book The book Wonders of the USA is all about different places and experiences around our country. What is so special about this book is that if you shine a light (a cellphone flashlight works great) through the pages, it reveals fun surprises! It's great for keeping our son engaged.
The Recipe To go along with this patriotic book we made my Red Velvet Cookie Bars, frosted them with cream cheese frosting, colored sugar and star marshmallows!
Red Velvet Cookie Bars Makes: 16 bars 2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
8 Tablespoons butter,
melted and slightly
1 box (15.25 ounce) red
velvet cake mix
1 cup high-quality
white chocolate chips 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9”x 9” baking dish with non-stick baker’s spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl lightly mix the eggs, yolk and butter together.
3. Stir the cake mix into the egg mixture.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Press the cookie batter into the prepared pan as evenly as possible.
6. Bake for 27 minutes for softer bars or up to 30 minutes for more firm bars.
7. Cool and cut as desired. Use a heart cookie cutter for a little something extra special! Decorate with your choice of frosting (we love cream cheese frosting) and patriotic sprinkles and marshmallows!